Whether you want to start exercising, stay active, or train for a competition, adopting a routine is the best solution. The key is to stick to it so that it becomes a part of your lifestyle.
Here are a few tips to help you stay motivated:
- Set realistic goals. Daunted by your busy schedule? Integrate exercise gradually, making sure to schedule it in your planner. It’s important to set a routine that works for you. If your goals are too ambitious, you’ll get discouraged and give up. Unfortunately, this happens about 90% of the time, so remember to be patient and always do your best! Your self-esteem will thank you. :)
- Follow an exercise routine for at least 21 days. This is the minimum time required for the brain to learn a new habit. Of course, this number is purely theoretical. The exact amount of time will differ depending on the individual, their fitness background, health, age, environment and level of commitment.
- Choose a routine that suits you. If your goal is to have more energy and boost your self-confidence, choose a gentle routine that combines exercise and meditation. However, if your goal is to become a Brazilian jiu-jitsu champion, your routine will probably need to be more intense!
- Consider your well-being. Ask yourself if your new routine makes you feel good. If the answer is yes, keep going! But if you have to force yourself to get through the day’s session, consider making some changes.
- Set reminders to stay on track. If you need help following your routine, put reminders in your calendar. It may seem silly, but giving yourself specific timeslots for the activity will help you stick to your routine.